Metal roofs are often recommended for being durable and low maintenance. But no matter how sturdy your roofing material is, it may still suffer from damage due to extreme weather or neglect. Keep in mind that low maintenance does not mean no maintenance. Som it is still important to care for your metal roof regularly.
Roofing by Curry, one of the most trusted roof companies in the area, shares some tips on how you can prolong the life of your metal roofing.
- Perform visual inspections on a regular basis, preferably every spring and fall. Be on the lookout for scratches, abrasions, stains, grease, dirt or any signs of seam separation. You can easily do this with a pair of binoculars.
- Check the sealant on the roof’s seams and edges to know if they should be replaced or touched up. Keep an eye out for rust as this is usually a sign that your sealant has failed or your anticorrosion coating is starting to lose its effect.
- Roofing contractors are very careful in keeping different types of metal apart. Certain types of roofing materials don’t react well when they come in contact with other materials, so you should prevent such materials from touching. Aluminum roofing, for instance, reacts badly when it is placed next to a different kind of roofing. This typically results in corrosion over time.
- Be careful of paint overspray when painting the eaves, walls or other exterior parts of your home. It’s common for painters to use sprayers on these areas. However, overspray can reach your roof, especially on windy days, and this can leave a permanent mark that could ruin your roofing. That said, you might want to have your painters use rollers or brushes instead to avoid the risk of damaging your roof.
- Keep leaves and debris out of your gutters so they won’t pile up and come in contact with your metal roofing. Aluminum roofing does an excellent job at shedding rain and snow. But when your gutters are filled with debris, this could make it harder for the edges of the roof to dry. Of course, with prolonged exposure to moisture, your roof will likely be compromised by corrosion.
Roofing by Curry is recognized for providing high-quality roofing and superior customer service. Our expertise includes roof repair, roof replacement, new roof construction and more. Call us at (941) 921-9111, or fill out our contact form to request a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Sarasota, FL, and the surrounding areas.