Roofing companies will tell you that while hot temperatures can be good for your roof during its installation, it can also cause unexpected damage to your roofing system and make your home warmer than you’d like. With that said, it’s vital that you choose wisely when it comes to your roofing materials. Thankfully, you can narrow down your options in roofing materials since there are some that are manufactured with warm climates in mind.
In this post, Roofing by Curry discusses the six best roofing materials you can choose if you live in areas with warm climates.
- Slate Tile – Slate tiles have been a popular choice for homeowners for a while now due to their classiness, durability, and low-maintenance. If you live in areas with warm weather, this is a good choice for your home, especially light-colored slate tiles due to their ability to cool down homes, reduce heat absorption, and reflect heat away from the structure.
- Clay Tiles – Clay is the oldest roofing material known to man and has managed to withstand the test of time as a roofing choice. It’s also the material of choice in warmer climates for certain countries. This is because clay tiles are made to withstand the wear and tear of the sun and are pretty durable in the face of hot weather. It doesn’t retain as much heat as a darker roof would and its interlocking arches can create space for hot air and water to circulate, preventing heat from building up. If you’ve decided to install clay tile in your home, you can always turn to the roofing contractors of Roofing by Curry for the best results.
- Light-Colored Concrete Tiles – Concrete by itself is already slow to heat up but combining this with the reflective properties of a lighter color can provide you with protection against the sun. It’s also a low-cost alternative to the average roofing material.
- White Metal – Metal is one of the sturdiest roofing materials you can pick for your home thanks to its ability to withstand harsh weather. Despite being made of metal, light-colored metal roofing can be your friend against the sun’s heat since it holds less heat in shorter periods and cools faster at night, allowing to have some comfort despite the warm climate.
- Green Roofing – Green roofing may be the newest method of keeping your buildings cool in warm climates and the most environmentally-friendly method. This is also the perfect combatant against the so-called urban heat island effect. To achieve green roofing, you’ll have to incorporate a waterproof membrane and fill it with soil and vegetation that will create a cool layer and reduce the temperature of the roof and the air.
- Rubber Membranes – While rubber doesn’t sound like a viable option in keeping heat away, most rubber membranes have rubberized coating known as cooling technology. Not only are these membranes designed to withstand the damages caused by harsh climates, but the white color it comes in has the ability to reflect heat away from your home or building’s interior.
Turn to Roofing by Curry for your home improvement needs. We are your leading provider of roof repair and metal roofing installation services. Give us a call at (941) 270-4770 or fill out our contact form to request a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Sarasota, FL, and other nearby areas.