As energy-efficient homes become increasingly popular, homeowners are searching for ways to help reduce their energy costs even more. The Department of Energy (DOE) recently introduced “Zero Energy Ready” homes, which can help improve energy efficiency.
Roofing by Curry, the top roofing contractor in Sarasota and the surrounding areas, explains what Zero Energy Ready homes are in this post. We also discuss some of the benefits these homes offer.
What is a Zero Energy Ready home?
A Zero Energy Ready home meets the guidelines set by the DOE. Verified by a qualified third party, these homes are up to 50% more energy-efficient than existing homes. Due to its high level of energy efficiency, a renewable energy system can offset the majority of its energy consumption annually.
Unlike other homes, a Zero Energy Ready home corresponds to a Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index Score of below to mid-50s. This is still dependent on the total home size and on its location. According to the DOE, nearly 220,000 homes had the HERS Index Score of 64 in 2013. This means that more than 100,000 homes have probably reached the Zero Energy Ready performance rating in 2014.
Benefits of a Zero Energy Ready home
A Zero Energy Ready home offers many benefits to homeowners, including:
- Healthy environment – This home manages ventilation mechanically. The machines used for ventilation are called Energy Recovery Ventilators (ERV) or Heat Recovery Ventilators (HRV). With this, the interior air welcomes fewer pollutants.
- Comfort – With a Zero Energy Ready home, no draft can enter and you’ll have no cold spots. It also offers sufficient amount of humidity, bringing in more comfort to your home.
- Advanced technology – This home is built with the best practices and technologies researched by the DOE.
- Ultra Efficient – By being zero energy ready, a home only takes a small solar electric system to handle the annual electric consumption.
- Quality built – The way materials are put together are important in building a Zero Energy Ready home. Ask trusted roof companies in Sarasota, like Roofing by Curry, if you have questions about the materials they offer.
- Durability – A Zero Energy Ready home is designed to last for many years.
If you want to remodel your home, or buy a new one to let you achieve a Zero Energy Ready home, it pays to ask the experts. Roofing by Curry is always ready to address your concerns about the Zero Energy Ready standard. Moreover, we offer quality roofing products that will ensure your home’s improved energy efficiency.
Contact us today at (941) 270-4770. We’ll be more than happy to assist you in all aspects of your home improvement needs.